Banner

Banner

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Paralysis

I have Bells Palsy!  Woooo!  Basically, one side of my face is partially paralyzed, and will be for awhile...like maybe 2-3 weeks or more.  I have a mild case of it...not too much drooping, and I can move my muscles a little bit.  Thank goodness!  Speaking clearly is hard, and chewing is even harder!  I also can't blink my right eye, which I'm sure looks really creepy to other people.  

Also, I have to wear an eye patch to bed so my eye doesn't dry out.  I'm technically supposed to tape my eye down first, but that makes me cringe.  Instead, I filled my eye patch with cotton balls to keep my eyelid down.  Much better!  Call me old fashioned, but I prefer not to rip my eyelashes out with tape.

Before I knew that I had Bells Palsy, I was pretty much certain that I was dying.  On Monday morning I ate some yogurt, and then noticed that my lips were numb.  I figured it was a suddenly-developed allergy to dairy (thank goodness it's not!).  I googled "numb lips" just in case it wasn't an allergy.  BAD IDEA.  Numb lips can be an indication of SO MANY bad things, like multiple sclerosis and lip cancer. Gah!

I then noticed that one side of my mouth wasn't working when I made silly faces in the mirror.  Later, my eye stopped blinking.  Luckily, the doctor got me in quickly and confirmed that I wasn't dying of a horrible disease.  Yay!

Being paralyzed is exhausting, as it turns out.  I'm so tired, even on the great steroids they gave me!  Also, the more I talk, the harder it is for my muscles to move.  I've been talking out of one side of my mouth, which is my husband's specialty.  Maybe this will be permanent and we'll the be side-talking family!  Yee haw!

...I just imagined us in chaps and spurs, talking out of the sides of our mouths.  Of course little Cletus was there on his pony!  Giddyup!

ALSO.  Eye drops are from satan.  I hate them.  But if I don't use them, my eye will shrivel up into nothingness and I'll have to get a magical glass one and they'll call me "Mad Eye."  So I guess I'll continue using them.  Bah.

No comments:

Post a Comment